Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Cold April Rain - Goodnight $5 Umbrellas

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and lived in Seattle for 13 years. People always say “Doesn’t it rain there all the time?” Not really. Its overcast for 10 months out of a year.  Its always LOOKS like it about to rain but it doesn’t that much really.
And when it does it’s a soft drizzly rain that doesn’t require an umbrella.

So when I moved to New York I vowed to not buy an umbrella. I didn’t own one in Seattle why would I get one here?

 I answered during my first rainstorm. It was like someone was chasing me with a firehose. I was soaked to my underwear in a matter of minutes.
Luckily practically every corner in NYC has a vendor selling cheap $5 umbrella. Those umbrellas last 5 minutes, but that’s okay since you’ll lose then long before then.  I have a few bartender friends who have a dozen of forgotten umbrellas in their apartments.
Every rainstorm ends with a host of broken umbrellas scattered across the city.
One thing that I will never understand is why in the summer when it rains IT GETS HOTTER. Don’t bother explaining it. I’ve had it explained to me. My brain won’t accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment